Blog Background

Friday, September 21, 2012

Product Reviews: Diaper Pails

When I registered for baby gear, if there were a couple different pricepoints on items, I generally chose the lower-priced item, thinking that there aren't generally substantial differences.  NOT SO with diaper pails.  Here's the dish:

Arm & Hammer Diaper Pail: This is what I registered for.  It's made by Arm & Hammer, so it has to be good at keeping the smell at bay, which it is.  But it's a little small, so you end up emptying it more often.  And you have to push the diaper into the bag with your hand, which can get unsanitary.  It's also a hand-open model, not the foot-pedal open style, which is also less than sanitary.  And last but not least, you have to buy 2 things, both the bag refills and the Arm & Hammer baking soda refills.  So while it costs less, I prefer the Diaper Genie Elite.



Playtex Diaper Genie Elite : (For reference, the only difference between the Diaper Genie and the Elite model is the foot-pedal opener, which is totally worth the extra $10.)  This model has a claw-type mechanism that opens when you push the foot-pedal, and the diaper drops in, hands-free.  It also has about twice the storage capacity of the Arm & Hammer model.  My parents bought one for when they baby sit, and when I visited for a week, we only emptied it once at the end of my trip, and I never smelled it.  Not to mention, it just looks nicer.



Diaper Dekor Plus: Recently on a trip to Buy Buy Baby, I used their changing room, and they had one of these in it.  It did not have any type of closure on the bag to keep the smells in, and I noticed the refills are a bit more pricey than the above two models.  So I'll pass on that.

These are the only models I've tried, but I wouldn't recommend going up to a higher price point for something that is essentially just a fancy trash can.  If you're like me, your husband will more than likely end up breaking it somehow and you will have to buy another anyway!  Hope this helps.




Have a review you want me to do?  Post your questions/comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment